Monday 15 August 2016

Getting ready for the CCC 2016


I’ve thought about writing a blog post West Highland Way but couldn’t bring myself to do it, or own up to what happened really at the time.

WHW race

The crew at 1.00am: Ben, Rob, me, Steph, Vicky, Lesley
I got injured in March and never fully came back, it was very naïve of me to think it would be possible to complete the West Highland Way after only two training runs, both were 9 hour efforts in the mountains without much running. The training suited the CCC perfectly but not the WHW.
Coming down into Balmaha around 4.00am
I went into the race and low and behold within 5 miles I could feel the same pain again in my ankle, I pushed through Drymen, took painkillers at Balmaha and just felt awful about the prospect of stopping. Unfortunately at Rowardennan I made the tough call to end my race, ending my journey for the WHW in 2016. In hindsight it might have been a better idea to stop earlier and take less time to recovery before the damage was worsened.
Huge props to my support crew for sacrificing their weekends to help me try and achieve one of my dreams, thank you Vicky, Rob, Steph, Ben & Lesley!
We went up to the finish to see some runners in and went to the award ceremony, which was really good to see everyone else get their goblets. I’m not putting my name in the hat for next year’s race. A few of my friends say it’s a good idea to go for it again next year, finish it and get some closure but I’ve got my eyes on other targets next year, and the race will always be there to conquer one day!


Post WHW

So I took some sensible advice and had two full weeks off without running or any form of exercise, limiting the walking to hopefully heal it faster. Three weeks after I tentatively started back up, running short distances and very slow to see if it came back. After two build up low mileage weeks I was feeling really good about it and ready to step up the game for some descent weeks and fantastic long runs to train for the CCC specifically on the climbing/descending.
Mid week run up Ben Lomond - Photo: Stuart Chalmers


CCC Details

The CCC (Courmayeur-Champex-Chamonix) is 101 km long with 20,000ft of ascent (spread across 5 main climbs). The race is the 'little sister' of the UTMB race but now attacts 1900 runners and takes in almost 3/4 of the UTMB course. Starting in Italy we go through Switzerland before coming back into France and finishing in Chamonix.


CCC Training

There were four long runs I’d planned and each of them was fantastic in their own right and I’d like to write about them and hopefully showcase how beautiful they were.
Profile

#1 – Ring of Steall
Wow this route is very tough! There were five of us doing this run starting and finishing in Kinlochleven: Alan, Gavin, Ross, Carol and myself. This would be a full recce of the Skyrunning race.
The route was fantastic, we went clockwise, tackling the Devils Ridge early on was pretty fun, the descent to Glen Nevis was excellent where Carol fell in the water and almost down a waterfall! The fields after Steall Falls were very very boggy and the climb up the 2nd munro was tough as hell. Some fine ridge running before the final munro in wet conditions, quickly down to the bealach and back onto the West Highland Way before heading back to the cars to get changed and get some dinner in Tyndrum.
Mountain: Sgurr An Lubhair
Munros: Sgurr a'Mhaim, An Gearanach, Stob Coire a' Chairn and Am Bodach.
8 hours, 8,800ft+, 17 miles

Full Ring of Steal route







Devils Ridge

Carefully crossing

Don't wanna fall

Fun scree descent into Glen Nevis

Refilling water

Here we go
The fun wire bridge



Steall Falls

The ridge and 3 more munros


Profile

#2 – Cairngorm 4000er’s
Okay so this was by far the hardest and longest run during training. Gavin came over and we set off early hoping to get up to the Cairngorms and ready to run by about 9.30am from the Sugarbowl car park beneath Cairngorm.
I fell within the first 2 miles crossing the boulder ridden Chalamain Gap, spraining my finger and gashing my legs. We continued on the run, going up some of the highest mountains in the UK, with rainbows all around. Great chatting to walkers at the Corrour Bothy on the Larig Ghru, and being well fed by them! I snapped a pole on the ascent to MacDui in horrendous conditions. We took shelter near the top to try and warm our hands before seeing the summit cairn and getting off the mountain fast. Beautiful to see some reindeer in the field near the start of our run too, the Cairngorms are really a fantastic and wild place.
4000ft Munros: Braeriach, Sgor an Lochain Uanie, Cairntoul, Ben MacDui
3000ft Munro: Carn a'Mhaim
9 hours, 8,500ft+, 26 miles

Chalamain Gap

Dirty cut
Top of Braeriach



Above the rainbow


Beautiful ridges 4000ft up

Corrour Bothy and Ben MacDui in clouds

The descent we came down


Another Rainbow
Top of freezing MacDui
Sharp descent down the gully & out of the clouds

Profile



#3 Long WHW and Ben Lomond
Two more ‘long’ runs left but no more weekends to get these done because our best friend’s wedding was at the weekend between these next 2 runs.
Plan was to finish work, drive straight to Balmaha and follow the West Highland Way to Rowardennan, meet Ryan and take on Ben Lomond and see how I’m feeling by then.
Didn’t realise how tiring it would be after work without a proper meal before running, so pretty fatigued throughout, climb up Ben Lomond via Ptarmagin was a real slog, chaffing pretty badly too. Got no views at the top due to the clouds and when we got back to Rowardennan it was starting to get dark so I knocked it on the head there.
Munro: Ben Lomond
4 hours, 4,200ft+, 15 miles

Ascending Ben Lomond - Photo: Ryan Scott

Ascending Ben Lomond - Photo: Ryan Scott


Profile

#4 Conic Hill x10
I booked a day off work for this final long run. Plan was to go it alone up and down Ben Nevis twice, getting about 8,000ft in 20 miles, but two things put me off doing this alone:
  1.   The big flat rocky platau and getting lost like on MacDui 
  2.   The really bad wind the evening before made me think it would be horrendous on the tops.
The great thing about doing hill reps on Conic Hill was I could test race nutrition and clothing, using my car as an ‘aid station’ seeing it every 4 miles to refuel, and to gain some mental toughness of doing the same loop over and over.
Managed to get to the top of Conic Hill 10 miles, it was quiet at the start but by the final time it was super busy with walkers. The final descent down from Conic Hill to Balmaha was so fun, it was pretty busy but I just ran down hard, my legs felt great considering it was 20 miles in with just over 7,000ft, I ran strong and managed to get a Strava PB for myself haha. Just goes to show! This was a nice confidence booster for the CCC and now I’m feeling ready.
Hill: Conic Hill x10
Under 5 hours, 7,300ft+, 20 miles

Time to replace the shoes


Loch Lomond looking pretty

Pretty windy still
Back side of Conic


Profile

Final thoughts:
Feels good to be tapering, keeping the legs ticking over and getting ready for race day. Going to concentrate on strengthening and core work these next 2 weeks and mobility exercises.
Thanks for reading, hope you all enjoyed this. And look forward to being in Chamonix toeing the start line!
“We are as precise as engineers with the dreams of an artist” – I heard that quote on the podcast and really liked it. TrailRunnerNation Episode

4 comments:

  1. What great preparation you've had for the CCC, a world away from your WHW preparation, don't be disappointed with you're WHW, you gave it a go, it was a brave effort considering your injury before hand and it will be there for when whenever you want to take it on again. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Fiona, you're an inspiration! I'll hopefully see you at the award ceremony on year with a goblet in hand :D

      Delete
  2. Fantastic Ian, i am sure you are going to have a great race. I have been doing core work too and am concentrating on that now and staying injury and illness free (wore a mask for work on friday as everyone had colds!) We will have to meet up in Chamonix.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome Anne, we must meet up in Chamonix while we're over there :)

      Delete